Demolition and Excavation
WHEN IS A PERMIT FOR DEMOLITION REQUIRED?
A person shall not demolish or begin demolition of a structure or part of a structure without obtaining a permit for demolition work from Building Inspections Department.
A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED FOR:
- Demolition of a fence or swimming pool.
- Demolition work performed in conjunction with remodeling, alteration, or repair of a structure for which a master permit is obtained.
- Demolition of a structure with a total floor area of less than 120 square feet.
WHAT IS A MASTER PERMIT?
Building Inspection issues a “master permit” which represent the authorization for all types of work on a construction project. Demolition could be part of a project or it could be the only work to be accomplished. In either case, a master permit is required.
Commercial property must comply with the following:
- An applicant for a permit to perform demolition work shall procure and keep in full force and effect commercial general liability insurance for bodily injury and property damage of not less than $1,000,000 and comprehensive automobile liability insurance in the amount of $500,000 for each occurrence. The insured provisions of the policy must name the city and its officers and employees as additional insured.
- Demolition permits do not apply to demolition work of the interior walls within a building. That work can be permitted separately as a building permit for an interior remodel or renovation.
Before you dig, you must request line locate from Texas 811.
It is unlawful for any person, its agents, servants or employees to dig, plow, blast, make cuts, openings, bore, excavate or use the right-of-way for any purpose without first having made application and obtained a permit therefore. It is unlawful for any person, its agents, servants or employees to make or cause to be made any excavation in or under the surface of any right-of-way for the installation, repair or removal of any facilities, or for any other purpose without first obtaining a permit through the Building Department of the City of Aurora.